What we do and why we do it
Courses and course formats
- All your classes are fully booked. Will there be more?
Yes, there will be more. In order to maintain flexibility in our schedule, we try not to plan too far ahead. New classes are announced most months. The best way to keep up to date is our instagram @ton.tirol. Alternatively, keep an eye here on the website.
- What can I expect at one of your courses?
It differs slightly from course to course, but the focus is on pots for use thrown on a wheel. We are functional potters, so we do not teach sculpture classes. We'll leave that to people far better qualified to do so than us!
- Who is going to teach me?
It'll be one of us. We are both experienced potters and educators and if you want to read up on us, feel free to do so. Here are links to our websites: Pete's and Lena's.
- What is the language of instruction?
Classes will be taught in German and English unless stated otherwise. Please read the course description thoroughly before booking.
- Why are the courses not suited for children? Our studio as well as our courses are geared towards adults. That applies to everything from work height, to clay consistency and teaching methods. We think a lot about how to turn our classes into an enjoyable experience for as many of you as possible, and cannot accommodate the needs of children and adults at the same time.
- If I miss a session, is it possible to catch up at another time? While we teach several classes a week, these tend to be booked out. That means that catching up at another time usually isn't possible.
- Where is the TON studio?
Our studio is in Zirl, Bahnhof-Umgebung 11. That's the big grey building at the end of the dead end street to the east of the railway building.
- Is your studio wheelchair accessible?
Our studio is on the first (really the second) floor of an old railway building, and there is no lift. That means that getting upstairs in a wheelchair is very difficult. If you have limited mobility and would like to attend one of our courses, please get in touch. We will see what we can do.
- Why are there no firings after taster sessions?
It' simply a matter of time. Pots cannot be taken to completion in a two-hour course.
- Is there a firing service?
Unfortunately not. The workshop serves as a teaching facility and for us to make our own work. Therefore, we simply do not have capacity to fire other people's pots.
- Why am I directed to another site for booking?
When you book a course at TON, it will be led by either Lena Butschek or Peter Montgomery. Therefore, you will be directed to either Lena's or Peter's website for booking and payment, depending on who is leading the session.
- I don't have a credit card. How can I pay the course fee? We can send you an invoice. Just let us know which course and provide us with a billing address. You can use the contact form to get in touch with us.
- Can I join an evening course even if it's already been running for a week or two?
Yes, you can - if there is space. If you would like to join one of our regular classes that has already started, just get in touch with us through this contact form and we'll take it from there.